There's something so satisfying about bringing home brand new, luxury towels! You get to have fun stocking your space - either stacked in a closet or drawer, hung on a stylish rack, or draped over the tub, there are so many options on how to display your towels. However, the thrill of these beauties tends to fade over time and the disappointment begins to ensue when you notice frayed edges, makeup stains, and muted colors! We have the top 8 tips for towel care to keep them as fresh as the day you bought them!
1. When purchasing towels it's all about the texture if you're looking for quality.
"If a towel is very light, it's not a good towel. The higher the grams of cotton per square meter, the denser the fibers become, making the towel softer and more absorbent. Look for towels made from 100% cotton or Egyptian cotton, which is even higher quality". - Maria Freitas
2. Follow the care instructions! Colored towels can become discolored or faded if not washed as directed.
3. Wash and dry your towels before using them! Some chemical softeners and agents may be left from the manufacturer finishing process that can actually hinder absorbency.
"A quality towel should get more absorbent and soft as you use it; not less". - Maria Freitas, Matouk
4. Don’t leave towels soaking for a long periods of time!
5. Avoid detergents with Clorox or bleach alternatives, as they can discolor most colors.
6. Avoid fabric softeners, as they can make towels less absorbent.
7. Never dry on hot! The cycle should start warm, then finish with cool. This might mean a longer drying process, but it definitely extends the life of your towels.
8. Cut back on detergent! Towels can begin to feel stiff because they start to build up soapy residue.